Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year in Pictures



at the start of 2008 i promised myself that i would get off the tip that helping other artists get their groove on in schools and making art with kids was "my art". not that those activities were bad or wrong it just wasn't being authentically me. sure, i got illustration and graphics work from folks who saw me doodling on the margins of my agendas in meetings and that gave me a measure of satisfaction but anyone who knows me well knows that while i am an awesome supervisor (smile) and a capably interesting employee my heart really ain't in the 9-to-5 on any level.

i'd had a bunch of work sitting around the house for years so I put it on the walls and then - no lie, they started talking to me . . . about being seen, being bought. the goddesses wanted to see the world. so "goddess coat" lives at ms. marilyn's house now after being in the international house show. my munny sold at a silent auction at Niche Mkt. The others have been an ongoing sketchbook project. Just vibing on how the colors jump off the black paper. all because i committed to making, doing and showing.





can't close without giving props to jaisiatic whose talent helped me see myself in a whole new way. i am looking forward to collaborating in 2009.

happy NEW year!




















3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Catherine, My Gadget will be fully lisenced and public come Saterday, so if you would still like to be the first artist of the month let me know. I can always used the images from this blog or some of your book work it is up to you. If not I will contact somone else. The info also comes with a place to tell about you, and place in any sites you want them to see. let me know.

VA

kalicious said...

so this is the thing, you have always been brilliant even with all the other people's agendas you managed. i look at your work (our art IS our work, right, not the place we go for the check just for now)and i am awe-inspired. not just because it is so vibrant, but because if that is what you do with all the weight of "realistic" living on your shoulders, will we be able to HANDLE what you will do as you continue to embody your spirit in full view?!! Wow, thank you, love you, happy new year it is gettin HOT in here!

CHD:WCK! said...

awesome post. i'm glad you've been able to grow so much in the past year. keep that momentum rolling. i
was sitting in the greyhound station (i took the bus to durham this new year's eve to attend a wedding) and look on the wall and saw "new york city" and "newark, nj" as destinations on the wall. i remembered how easy it was to get down here by greyhound. why hasn't it been equally as simple to get back up?
almost isn't good enough anymore.